Thursday, December 13, 2012

They're Not Heavy...

I can't believe you are back for more, people!  What an honor to have you reading! It is a great compliment, and for that I thank you!
     I laid awake in bed last night, unable to sleep. I thought about so many things, but mostly my mind raced, as probably many of yours have, to things that I want to/need to get done today, tomorrow, this weekend, before Christmas, so on and so forth... This time of year is horrible for my sleepless nights. But as I thought about all of those chores to accomplish, I drifted to another aspect of it all: I have a LOT of responsibilities!
     I still, less than two weeks until Christmas, need to plan gifts for our families. With a tight budget, and lots of activities this time of year, how am I going to manage the money to stretch it through the month?! I know, and have experienced how God provides for those who rely on Him. And boy, do we rely on Him! He is so faithful to give us what we need when we seek His will and obey it! Jesus promises this in Matthew 6:33, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." I know this, and I believe everything that God tells us in His word. But, just like lots of things in this life, it is very hard to put into practice. God has never let us go without what we need, and He even allows us luxuries. So why do I doubt? Because I am a short-sighted, forgetful human. So daily, I remind myself of the One Who has never left my side while others come and go from my life. There is one Constant: God. 

     So, the mind drifted to a less stressful arena. I began to think of my sleeping babies in their snug little beds. But wait, my children alone are a huge responsibility. I remember the moments after I found out I was pregnant with our first child. I was at work, and sitting at my desk. I immediately had a knot in my stomach...or was it nausea? No, I realized there is a soul that is dependent on me for everything. But the thought that struck me the hardest was that it was a pure soul. It is up to me and my beloved to teach them about God, about love, about humility, about cleanliness, about respect, about other cultures and types of people, about how to treat each other...are you feeling the overwhelming feeling that kept me up? However daunting this responsibility is, it is my favorite. What a joy it is to share in the newness of the world in their eyes. I am amazed at what they take in and learn daily. They are little sponges that absorb the world around them at an alarming rate. So we must proceed with caution. It is my husband and my responsibilities to do all we can to return these precious souls to God as pure as He gave them to us.
        Another responsibility that I thought of was my responsibility to my husband. We, as wives, play a huge role in who our husbands are in the world. I have recently learned the influence I have on how successful he is as a husband, father, Christian, or even an employee! My relationship with him permeates so many aspects of who he is. So with a slip of the tongue, or over-stepping my God-given boundaries, I can strike a devastating blow to the man of my heart given to me by my Heavenly Father. Or, with a kind word of encouragement or literal pat on the back, his confidence is built up and he is off to conquer the world for us. I know that sounds pretty egotistical of me, but it's a fact. If he doesn't have my trust and respect and affection, what else matters to a husband? It will affect how feels about his ability to conquer other areas of life. So, add being a loving, supportive wife to my growing list of responsibilities!
        Next on the responsibility list is my duties to my fellow Christians. I pondered over my example to others who are striving to live as Christ-like as possible. Am I encouraging, or causing others to stumble? Does my "conversation" edify them or distract them from the cross of Christ? I truly believe we all strive to help each other in this life, but we constantly struggle with jealousies, competitions, arguments, insecurities, and so forth. Is my aim always to lift others to reach their goal? God's Word says it should be! "For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another." (Gal 5:13-15) 
         Yet another concern that popped into this ever-cranking brain is my responsibility as a Christian serving God. Yes, that one should have been first on the list, but I admit to you here and now that I fail daily when prioritizing my time. I regretfully confess that my time alone with God sometimes falls into the gaps of the other chores and activities. I have to, with purpose and determination, set out to make time in my day to talk with Him. But let me let you in on this awesome revelation I have had: the more I make time for God, the more time I want to spend with Him. A very smart man once told me that, and I hoped to find it out for myself one day, this would be the case. And one night, not too long ago, I found myself lying in bed, feeling so eager to go to God with a list of things I wanted to tell Him! It wasn't that I was in need of a laundry list of things from Him, as I sometimes do. It wasn't that I had a heavy heart at all! It was that I had a familiar feeling of calling up my best friend to share my thoughts. Now, mind you, I did so with complete awe that God has reshaped this heart of mine. I pray that He will continue this process, as I undoubtedly know that I am so far from being complete. But please, take my challenge! If you struggle with spending time alone with God, set a timer for ten minutes each day...yes, set a timer. You will be amazed at the amount of growth that comes from ten minutes. Your ten minutes of quality time will grow and grow, until one day you will look back and be amazed that you once could confine your time to so little. Once again, I still have days where I let other things choke out that time...I told you I have so much to learn, and this skull is pretty thick! And as I lay in bed, I wondered if I had done my best lately at nurturing my relationship with the Creator. Sadly, I have to say I don't feel I had. 
        So my summary of all those responsibilities is that they are all incredibly important and worthy of my time, but none should be viewed as a burden. Each is a gift to be cherished. And so my assignment for today to treat each as the treasure they are! And may my LORD be glorified in the process!

2 comments:

  1. Such great thoughts especially for this time of year when it's easy to let "urgent" things crowd out the important things. Thanks!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! :) I need to be reminded daily!

      Delete